The best water softener for high iron levels will soften your water quickly and provide a great supply for your household needs.
Iron is a major component of blood and is important in transporting oxygen around the body. However, iron levels of over 0.3 milligrams per liter could be toxic and may cause health problems. It is important to regulate your iron intake, especially that which is not from natural sources such as leafy greens and red meats. You can use filtration to remove iron in water with manganese greensand, MTM, Brim and sand filters. You can also use water softeners to make your water safer. The best water softener for high iron content in your water should be quick acting, easy to use and provide a constant supply of iron-free soft water for your home.
Which is the best control valve for your water softener?
Since you will use your water softening unit for a long time, you should consider finding one with a suitable top control valve. You could find a well-suited water softening unit from the Fleck, Clack and Autotrol top control valve options available for your water softener today. These top control valves differ in design and features, and could make or break your water softening experience.
Clack Top Control Valve
It uses single piston technology to help you control your water softening unit cycles and other settings. The valve is reliable and is easy to understand. Users will enjoy the Clack valve because it is relatively inexpensive to repair since the parts are not pricey. However, it is a newer model so these may be less available than other spare parts for different top control valves.
Autotrol Top Control Valve
This brand is made in the USA and also applies valve disc technology. It has 6 mobile parts, which are controlled by a camshaft. The parts are readily available, so it is easy to fix in case of any situations that might require repairs.
Fleck Top Control Valve
The most popular water softening top control valve technology uses a single piston motion. The valve is electronic, and easy to use once you gain an understanding of the controls. It is less likely to spoil than other top control valves, but may be more pricey to repair.
Some common problems that may affect your water softener
Before looking into the best water softener for high iron levels, you should understand a few of the most common problems that you may face. While some will require a technician, most of these problems can be addressed by maintaining your unit properly. Knowing what may be wrong with your water softening unit could help you prolong its lifespan and improve your experience with it.
Dirty Filters and Blockages
Water softeners use sediment filters to prevent any sediment and contaminants from getting into your supply. These filters can be fine, such as the 5-micron carbon filter that is suited in a number of the products listed below. Sediments and minerals can accumulate in the filter over time, which could lead to partial or total blockage. This may affect your water pressure level, or cause a total loss of supply. When buying a water softening unit, make sure you understand the frequency of replacing your filter cartridges. This way, you will get maximum service from them and replace them at the right time without compromising your unit or your home’s soft water supply. In case of a blockage which is common for water softening units, refer to the manual on how to remove lime scale buildup.
Mechanical problems are part of every tool that may use a motor. While it is not an everyday occurrence, your water softening unit could experience mechanical failure. The most commonly affected part is the motor which might fail to work because of misalignment, poor installation, mishandling and insufficient lubrications. You should maintain your unit as recommended, with thorough and regular cleaning and replacing of any required parts.
Water softeners use polyphosphate beads called resin. These tiny interlinks of beads attract the positively charged hard water ions and replace them with sodium. They play a big part in ion exchange, and usually last for a very long time. Most resin beads will last between 5 and 10 years, depending on the capacity of a household. Over time, he resin beads will become less efficient. This is because they are continually depleted, wearing out at about 10% every year. If you see spots in your water, or have experienced floating bits of resin, you will need to replace the beads. You could also need to replace your resin beads if the unit does not offer improved water quality after regeneration.
What is the best water softener for high iron levels?
Here are the best water softeners for high iron levels. Choose the one that meets your requirements.
1. Nuvo H2O Water Softening System
Nuvo’s high capacity water softening unit offers more soft water, which makes it ideal for households with more people. It is non-salt based, but will work effectively to remove iron from water with a high concentration.
While it is not the best model for water softening, it is mobile and easy to install. Also made with great quality materials and will offer value for money. it does not remove other beneficial ions.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Tough and durable
- Does not remove beneficial minerals
- High capacity for larger water use
- Does not require salt
- Easy to install and use
- Lightweight for better mobility
- Limited effectiveness in excessively hard water
2. Eddy Water Descaler
This de-scaler is great for removing iron in water and protecting your plumbing from lime scale buildup. It offers a lifetime warranty, which suggests that it could be useful for water softening over long periods of time.
Unlike other models, it uses electricity to soften water and remove scale. It is not compatible with water and should only be installed indoors.
- Uses electricity to create an electromagnetic field
- Does not require softening salt
- Does not remove useful minerals
- Protects pipes from scale buildup
- Easy to install, maintain and use
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Not as efficient as other water softeners
- Not waterproof so it can only be installed indoors
3. Hard Water Bullet Poly Triple Action Water Softener
This unit is made with a hard BPA plastic that is both durable and environmentally friendly. The design is unique, and it allows for external installation as long as it is not exposed to freezing temperatures.
It comes with a mounting bracket for easier installation and a quick guide on how to do it. The model is ideal for iron, but does not remove chloramines.
- Environmentally friendly materials
- Tough body and great design
- Suitable for outside installation
- Includes mounting bracket
- Uses BPA free plastic and sturdy fixtures
- Does not remove chloramines
4. WaterBoss Self Cleaning and Maintaining Water Softener
If you are looking for an auto re-generating unit great for hard water, WaterBoss’ self-cleaning unit is suitable for you. Made with great quality materials and will hold a large amount of water.
Works well with very hard water, but may be more prone to component damage since the valves are exposed. It does not have a long warranty like other options listed.
- Large capacity for households with more demand
- Easy to install and use
- Meter based for easier monitoring
- Includes an in-built filter for cleaner water
- Guarantees high water pressure level
- Shorter warranty than other options
- Features exposed valves, which may be prone to breaking
5. Watts Portable RV Pro-1000
The portable RV Pro-100 by Watts is a great model for people looking to soften hard water with high iron levels on the go. It is portable and is suitable for outdoors installation.
I would recommend this unit for water softening on camping trips and vacations because it provides a smaller capacity. You should remember to keep it fully charged before going on your trip.
- Portable for convenient use
- Can be used outdoors
- Compatible with different salt
- Smaller capacity than other units
- Requires manual recharging
6. Aquasana Rhino Premium Salt-Free Water Softener
The Aquasana Rhino premium is a non-salt based water softener that promises a great capacity. Made with sturdy and high quality materials and a great build to ensure longevity.
Can be difficult to install without help, and users should consider tutorials and professional help during installation. It has a bypass loop to help produce soft water even when changing filters.
- Features bypass loop to help make it easier to change filters
- Removes a large number of ions
- Does not use salt
- Guarantees long term use
- Might be too bulky for users with limited space
- Difficult to install without professional help
- Not as effective as ion exchange water softeners
7. ABCwaters 48k-5600 SXT Water Softening Pro
ABCwaters’ SXT model is easy to install and has a great capacity, making it suitable for households with a larger usage. It will remove many contaminants, making it suitable for places with very hard water.
The SXT top control valve can be a challenge to calibrate if you do not know the hardness of your water. After installation, but before operation, you should carry out a water test to calibrate your softener well.
- Can remove several contaminants
- SXT bypass valve is electronic and durable
- Has a high capacity for households with a large intake
- Easy to install
- Difficult to calibrate SXT valve accurately without a knowledge of water hardness level
8. Fleck 5600 SXT Digital Valve Water Softener
Fleck is one of the best water softening technologies available. The brand includes an SXT control valve for this unit, making it convenient to control. It has a power capacitor which will provide up to 48 hour standby in case of a blackout.
The model is great for larger households as it has a big capacity. It is also quick to install, with users able to access great customer service very quickly.
- Pre-filled high quality resin beads
- Great quality of materials used
- Easy to install
- Large capacity for bigger households
- Great brand customer service
- Does not include drainage tubing
- Can be tough to replace resin when it wears out
9. Fleck Iron 2 Pro
The Fleck Iron 2 Pro is specially designed to remove iron from water. It also softens and filters your water, making it safe for use and better tasting. With the Iron 2 Pro, you will be able to remove iron even in very high concentration.
The model features a SXT top control valve, with a long warranty. Other components also have long warranties, which suggest that it will offer lengthy service. It has a large capacity and will guarantee a constant supply of hard water.
- Offers a long warranty for tank and fixtures
- Self timed regeneration for better maintenance
- Installation support available online for an easier process
- Great capacity
- Specially designed to remove iron, up to 75 ppm
- Tough to refill resin
- Might be difficult to calibrate regeneration cycle if you do not know your water hardness level
I prefer the Fleck Iron 2 pro because it is specially designed for high iron concentration levels in water. Even though it can be difficult to replace the resin, it uses a SXT valve which makes it self regenerating and easy to maintain. The brand offers great customer service and long warranties which offer protection to customers. The Fleck Iron 2 Pro is the best water softener for high iron levels because it combines the SXT technology with great efficiency in removing iron ions from your water and other minerals that make your water hard and could harm your hair and body.